Toll Free: 1-800-428-5665
Called to the Bar: August, 1993 (British Columbia)
Jeff has a considerable amount of experience working with First Nations and their members on a variety of legal issues and social development initiatives.
His practice includes:
- complex litigation related to the Crown’s consultation and accommodation obligations, Aboriginal rights, and the resolution of historical disputes
- Band governance and reserve lands issues (Additions to Reserve, rentals, planning and environmental issues, employment law)
- working proactively with First Nations as they engage in consultations with the Crown
- negotiations with government and industry related to resource development
- filing, negotiation and resolution of Specific Claims
He is passionate about and committed to working closely with First Nations to find creative solutions to present challenges and proactively plan for the future, all while respecting and promoting traditional values, knowledge and language.
Before joining our team in November of 2006 he worked for five years as staff lawyer for a First Nation-operated legal clinic in BC’s central interior, representing First Nation individuals and their communities at all levels of court in BC and managing several social development projects. He has also operated his own law practice and worked closely with a First Nation providing managerial and legal support for a traditional justice, conflict resolution and community building initiative. He also has experience with family law related issues, employment matters, implementing traditional governance systems, and cultural intellectual property.
Jeff has appeared at every level of court in British Columbia and was co-counsel on:
- Joseph v. Canada (Federal Court – Advance Costs)
- Joseph v. Canada (Federal Court – Litigation)
- Wii’litswx v. British Columbia (Minister of Forests), (BC Supreme Court)
- Ke-Kin-Is-Uqs v. British Columbia (Minister of Forests), (BC Supreme Court)
- Cook v. Minister of Aboriginal Relations and Reconciliation (BC Supreme Court)
- LLB – Faculty of Law, University of British Columbia, 1992
- BA – University of Toronto, 1998
- Family Law Mediation Certificate, Continuing Legal Education Society of BC – 2004
- Mediation and the Child, Family and Community Services Act – Continuing Legal Education Society of BC, Vancouver, March 2005
- First Nation Justice and Conflict Resolution Program Operations – People of the River Conference, Chilliwack, April 2005
- Legal education workshops to First Nation communities and lay advocates